Saturday, January 5, 2013

Finally... progress on the home!

out for spicy thai dinner this week w/friends -
check out that bump!
  Well, hello there! I've got an update for y'all -- we finally got some news that we had been anticipating - the approval letter came in for the home purchase!  I got an email on Wed this week, and went ahead to schedule an inspection for the home.  I called a couple of people, and after picking one I felt good about, we scheduled it to be done Friday (yesterday).  I am so pleased to announce that other than some moisture-caused wood rot on a few parts of the siding (confirmed it wasn't termites/beetles), and needing to get the a/c flushed and/or looked at, the house is in great condition.  The roof is only about 5 years old, thank goodness.  All the plumbing looks ok, electric, etc.  We'll need to snake a drain in the guest bath, but that's not too bad.  Since it's a short sale, we are buying the home "as-is," which can be a little hairy.  But most of the issues are cosmetic, and the types that you would have to maintain anyway, as a home owner.  The appraisal can now be done next week, and if all goes smoothly, and underwriting doesn't take forever, we are hoping to close by the end of January!  We're so happy!  What's great is that all the cosmetic things we want to do immediately, like painting, removing that horrid popcorn from the ceilings & replacing the carpet in the other 2 bedrooms, we can do while we're still here at my mom's.  I guess that means we have to start getting some quotes... yippee. Let me try to contain my excitement here. 
All in all, it was a good end to the week.  Now on to the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment