Sunday, July 12, 2015

Here we grow again! (24 weeks into it)

Baby #2, let's  do this!
Everyone pretty much already knows that I'm  pregnant again, pardon the delay in starting the posts.  As I'm even sitting here to finally post, I'm at 24 weeks.  So far, I have not kept up my end of the bargain (with myself) to do the same with baby #2 that I did with baby #1.  I am sorry little one.  But for the moms out there with more than one child, working full time and juggling the dramatic days of a 2 year old little girl, you hopefully are right there with me.  And if you're not, humor me and tell me that you feel me here. 
Don and I have always wanted more than one child, and given the opportunity to have 3, we would.  However, we're older now, I'm on the closer side to 40, and I just don't have it in me anymore.  So the discussion began for another child.  We both were on the fence with bringing another babe into our family. For the reasons mentioned above, finances, jobs, Don having started his own business just under a year ago, and the fact that we have a great little girl.  But come on, who doesn't at least want to try for another baby? 
So back to the discussion, being on the fence, etc.  In January, I bought another one of those ovulation kits I had mentioned when we were trying for Ava, and started tracking myself.  All the while, not 100% sure if we both wanted to go through with it.  I was on a slower cycle this time around, but nonetheless, we did what needed to be done for a try! (This was the 1st week of February.)  That next week, I took a test, way too early (of course) and it was negative.  Not a surprise, though.  I mean, it was just a week... Around February 18th, we were having a serious talk about baby #2.  Do we want this?  Are we ready, is it too late, do we bother? I was pretty much off the fence, or leaning very far into the "yes!" zone.  I think it was clear Don had made up his mind on, "nah."  I asked if we could try one more time, if this was negative, and he still wasn't sure he was into it.  The very next day - I decided I would take a pregnancy test.  Yes, just about 2 weeks after we tried, but I remembered with Ava, I found out like 9 days later, and it was accurate.  So test #1, said yes. Wha-wha-whaaaat? I was so nervous to tell my husband! I immediately went to one friend that I confided baby #1 with, and told her. Oh my goodness.  I took another one that evening, same thing.  Saturday morning, I couldn't hold it in much longer.  I was way too excited and way too nervous to keep this from him.  I was keeping the biggest secret - for fear of what? I don't know, but it was too much to bear.  I went and took another 2 tests. Yep, still positive.  I walked out to him, and handed it to him.  He asked me what that was, a grin on his face.  I said, "don't act like you don't know, I only took about 20 with Ava."  And he burst out with joy, "we're having a baby!"   A flood of relief, joy, excitement, love poured over me.  He was so excited. SO excited.  He told me everything was going to be ok!  I knew it would, he takes such great care of us already, and we are in a really good place in our relationship, in our marriage, in our parenthood, in our lives.  We shared the excitement, grinning at each other throughout the day and weekend, and would giggle when we caught each other's eyes.  That and of course, "oh shoot.  It's getting real now!"  Baby #1 is so exciting, you're all caught up in the newness of it, and you adjust to this new life, the messes, the lack of sleep, the joy, the moments.  Bring in another one, and it's real.  There's no turning back, things are about to get more exciting, more difficult, more crazy.  But we are in this roller coaster together.  All 4 of us!  And we wouldn't change any of it for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment