Wednesday, January 18, 2012

gotta have faith...

I've started reading the book of Matthew this month.  Our church has a "guide" of daily readings, and this month is 1 chapter each day - in Matthew and in Proverbs.  I'm a little behind so I've only read Matthew.  One chapter that really got me thinking was chapter 8.  No verse in particular, but really just the whole thing is about miracles that Jesus is performing.  Leprosy, paralysis, fevers, demon-possession, just to name a few.  What was so amazing about it was that the people that were healed - all they did was believe in Jesus' power. They had faith.   They believed.  So it got me thinking, what would I do if Jesus was standing right here in front of me?  Right here where I could see Him.  Would I ask Him to heal my sick relatives? To bring someone back to life? To heal my friends' families? (To clone Coco and give me 2 more?)  What would you do?  Would you be able to just throw all the doubt out of your mind, and believe 110% that whatever He said He would fix/heal/correct/resurrect, He would do just that?  Have you ever stopped to think about it?  I can read and listen to the bible, and the miraculous details of the works Jesus did {specifically while on earth}. And I know I've been witness to things He's done here in my life. But in this day and age, it's weird to think that someone could touch a lame person, and make them get up and walk.  Or put some mud on a blind man's eyes, wipe it off, and they can see.  Jesus performed so many miracles in His short life on earth, and how amazing would it have been to witness them, first hand?  I don't want you to think that  I don't believe, by my questioning.  I'm afraid to even hint at disbelief, but it's just different, I think, in the present, technological time.  (I won't go into all that, but I do think that we are sometimes in a world that strays from any kind of spiritual guidance, and we're more dependent on other things... my mind isn't letting me go there right now, b/c I'm trying to stay focused... lol!)
Anyway, I think that if Jesus walked into this room I am sitting in right now, and sat down next to me, I would totally throw all of my doubt or questions or whatever guilt-inducing feelings  out  the window, and never look back.  So what good would that do if I didn't have faith?  We really need to have faith, "trust or confidence in a person or entity."  In this case, to be confident in Jesus' power. Our faith plays such a major role in our walk with God.  How willing are we, on a daily basis, to fully and completely have faith in God's healing powers? Does it matter how I feel, depending on my level or degree of faith? To a point, yes.  I believe that God/Jesus is capable of performing miracles, when He sees fit. I know that all things are on His time, not mine or yours.  When I pray for someone, and ask for His healing hand, I also pray that He does so according to His will/that His will be done.  Maybe because my human mind is telling me the outcome may go either way - positive or [seemingly] negative.  I do think logically, and sometimes I fear that may control my prayers, rather than my faith.  But I know, deep down, that I have faith.  God is so good, and He has done wonders for my life, my family, my marriage.  I feel His presence daily and even when I kinda wished I didn't. It's comforting to have that faith.  Faith is all about throwing caution to the wind; it's about setting aside all the doubt and believing - blindly.  As for the moving mountains, I'm still working on that faith.  But I'm excited to get my mind and heart thinking about this. I believe that the whole reason I know that God has put this in my path for some reason - and I'm ready to dive deeper into faith and believing, whole heartedly, in my God and His powers.  
Matthew 9:28-30 "'Do you believe that I am able to do this?' 'Yes Lord,' they replied.  Then He touched their eyes and said, 'According to your faith will it be done to you.' and their sight was restored." 

No comments:

Post a Comment