Saturday, November 19, 2011

d.i.y. - oh my!

Oh it's good to be home sweet home. We woke up @ 5 a.m. this morning, to come home for our fun week long vacation.  It's only 5:20 pm. I feel like it's midnight!  There's still so much time for activities!  Also, I just had an iced coffee (McDonald's - with vanilla, so good!), so I've got an extra kick of energy.  We got home about 3.5 hrs later, at 9:45, it was early enough to be like sleeping in!  I've not unpacked, but I'll do that soon.  All of our clothes are clean anyway, thanks to a washer and dryer in the rental house.  It's definitely the way to go for a week long vacation.  So welcome back to a computer, rather than my cell phone.  I hopped on to pay a bill,  and then  after checking out pinterest & some great new blogs (listed in my faves here) for what seemed like hours this afternoon (but was really only 1, I think...), I feel inspired to do some d.i.y. projects.  One of my closest girlfriends has taken up the challenge with me of the 30 (or more) days of pearls, and she had a great idea for her pearl necklace.  She tied some cute ribbon to each end, to make the necklace even longer, all the while making it look very cute!  She wore it to church one Sunday and I told her I was going to steal that idea!  I used some blue and orange (Go Gators!!) on  my necklace, and a coworker loved it.  She wants me to help her do some colors for her daughters - FSU and Ole Miss.  I will put aside my dislike for the schools, haha, and help a sister out, b/c I "borrowed" the idea from my girlfriend.  So I decided to make a trip to my  local craft store, originally to get ideas for wall art - spray painting frames and  mod podgin' some pics.  I came home w/various colored ribbons (mostly thin, as opposed to my friend's wider grosgrain ribbon), thread, some rosettes of thin fabric (navy, cream and black), a 6ft strand of pearls (used for wedding decor, that I will cut apart), some hemp thread (black, taupe, tan & cream colored) and some closures.  I came home and did some quick inventory of my costume jewelry and found quite a few charms I could work with.  Oh, and all of the pearls I have!!  I was giddy w/my finds, b/c I had more than I thought!  My mother-in-law brought me - from the Philippines - a couple of beautiful sets of pearls - necklace/bracelet/earrings, cream and rose colored.  ohmygoodness!!! I've got some work cut out for myself, so since it's still early --- I'm going to go play!  Pics later!

...while you wait: check out the psimadeitmyself.com link - this girl is sharp.  i am excited to make some scarves from my old tshirts that don't fit so well anymore!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Do you have pics of what you've done/made so far? I'd love to see them! Also, I got a great idea for a painting last week from watching hgtv! Can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be posting later tonight, a few. Or tomorrow. :) Hopefully they'll turn out right! And I'd love to hear your idea about painting. It's time to get active. Organizing will come soon... haha

    ReplyDelete